Sunday, February 7, 2010

Curls and smiles

It's a good thing digital cameras have come into existence, because Lydia won't smile for the camera until it flashes first for a picture, then she smiles at the flash and the next picture is better.  Then she starts giggling because she loves the flash so much and the camera won't take them fast enough to get in all her smiles!  I love the one right out of the bath - her hair goes wild in curls, but it calms down to almost straight in a very short time.  I'm interested to see what Maryland humidity does to it this summer! 
 
I have to say that humidity sounds pretty good right now as we are buried in a record-breaking 30 inches of snow.  Lydia didn't like the last snow, but I'm thinking of taking her out a little this afternoon.  She seems to be adjusting to our climate and doesn't get as cold as when we first got home and I think she would like riding the snow saucer down the hill. 
 
We did receive results from her MRI and have been referred to Johns Hopkins neurosurgery and developmental neurology at Kennedy Krieger.  We don't really understand the results, but it looks like she had lack or oxygen and blood to the brain at some point, most likely birth since there is no report of any such problems after she got to the orphanage at 6 weeks old.  There is nothing more to do right now as she is in good intervention and enrichment services.  We'll get more explanations and consults as we continue with appointments, but in the meantime we are loving her smiles and her imitations of our clapping, hand swishing, and making sounds.  She's a sweetie!


Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft's powerful SPAM protection. Sign up now.

2 comments:

  1. I am loving those smiles & curls! Too cute! That is great news to hear that Lydia is starting to adjust to the colder weather. Sydney dislikes the snow/cold BIG time. She always gets this panicked look on her face when we take her out. And her hands are always freezing. Please keep me updated about the next appointments. I think we agree that early intervention for our girls is the best for them! We are also dealing with ?? about Sydney's health. God already knows & I remind myself of that daily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to see how well Lydia is doing. I love that smile! We're getting about 6-10 inches of snow tonight. Ruby gets MAD when we don't go outside. Too bad I'm the one that doesn't like being cold!

    ReplyDelete