Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Update

Thank you for your encouragement related to Lydia's progress and adjustment.  She is a precious gift from God and we pray that we honor God in attempting to provide her allthat she needs ot reach her full potential.
 
News from the opthomologist was mixed - the first was good news in that Lydia's optic nerve is in pretty good shape.  Therefore the diagnosis from China of Optic Atrophy is not accurate.  She is slightly near-sighted, but basically her eyes are in good working condition.  However since vision involves the eyes and the vision center of the brain, what's left is to wonder whether the vision center of her brain is accurately receiving messages sent from the eye.  We don't really know how that part of her brain is working without an MRI, and there is no need to do that at this point.  We will work on stimulating that part of her brain with colors and contrast, and pursue services with specialists that can help her further.  Her pediatrician today recommended the International Adoption Center at Kennedy Krieger for a full assessment and further referrals to their areas of expertise such as the feeding center, speech/language etc.  I'm waiting for a call back about an appt there, and will call our local school system tomorrow to start the process for evalution for services through there. 
 
Please continue to pray for Lydia's adjustment, as she has not had the opportunity to sleep a solid night's sleep as she keeps waking up at night, then we try to keep her up as much as possible during the day.  She's too tired to even try to be herself!  Once she is rested, I think we will see her come out of her shell - we got the pictures back today that were taken at the orphange with the disposable camera that we sent, and it's amazing that a much happier and more comfortable Lydia is shining in those pictures!
Blessings to all!


Windows 7: It helps you do more. Explore Windows 7.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad the appt went well. So hoping that Lydia starts sleeping on US time very soon! That will help you guys get back to your normal. Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often feel like life is a series of "in the trenches" experiences. My journey of mothering has certainly been like that and I know it will probably continue when we add our new little one to the mix. Put on the full armor! God will equip you. Praying for you all.
    Barbara (awaa)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're so glad that the news was encouraging. As we have discussed, Lydia is so lucky to have Hopkins Wilmer Eye Institute and Kennedy Krieger so close to you all, if needed. It's a wonderful place, and we heard great things about the international adoption center during our journey.

    So great about the orphanage photos. We just bet that Lydia is catching up on her sleep...it's been less than a week...and is ready to get moving.

    You all are doing great. As always, you're in our prayers every day.

    Love,
    Deb, Randy & Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome Home!! We Miss you at Riverside.. but enjoy your special time!!
    Nicole Marszalek

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Russell family! Jane - I saw you briefly in the Narthex on the morning of the 25th (I think you were leaving the 8am service.) I didn't catch you, but I wanted to hug you and say "welcome home!" You all have been on my mind so much as Lydia adjusts to her new home. I didn't realize that KK had an adoption center for assessments. How awesome to have such a great resource nearby! Praying for you!
    Love, Heather

    ReplyDelete